We have a confession to make.
When the geeks at Google announced a new social network called G+, our hearts sank. Just a little.
“Oh,” we sighed. “Now there’s something else to worry about as well as blogging, and Twitter, and Pinterest, and Tumblr, and StumbleUpon, and Feedburner, and Facebook…”
But it turns out Google Plus is pretty cool. Don’t believe us? Here are five great reasons to join Google+
- For starters, sharing your posts on G+ helps your blog become more visible in search results. Greater visibility equals more traffic, which means more readers, engagement and fun for everyone. And sharing posts is a lot less time-consuming than doing that SEO stuff, right?
- Second, joining G+ now means you’ll be able to make the most of our experts at BlogCamp next month, who will be showing you how to make the very most of the new platform. Bring along your iPad or laptop and the guys will give you hands-on demonstrations of the things you REALLY want to know.
- Third, joining G+ means you can connect with the Tots100 on G+. Really, that should be reason enough right on its own, we think… But if you needed more persuasion, being on G+ means you can join our Sponsored Post circle and be first to hear about paid blogging opportunities. You can share your G+ profile with other bloggers, and start making the connections that make G+ more fun. And you can enjoy our Silly Friday shares – things that make us laugh because – after all – it’s almost the weekend.
- Fourth, G+ lets you tailor how you share content, incredibly easy. On your blog or Twitter, everything is public by default, but G+ lets you organise people into circles (we like to imagine our circles as large, glass bowls filled with tiny people) and share content accordingly. So you can share that risque joke with everyone except people in the ‘work’ and ‘school Mums’ circle. Or your latest blog post might be shared with ‘blog readers’ and ‘PR contacts’ but not with ‘people I mostly talk to for the sake of politeness’. Share with just one person, or make the content public – it’s really up to you.
- Lastly, G+ is evolving – fast. The new Google Plus Events feature, for example, lets you organise and manage event invitations – even if people don’t have a G+ account. And we’re really excited to try out the new ‘party mode’ at BlogCamp which allows you to tag photos on your mobile device and have them all sucked into a live photo stream with photos from everyone at the same event – creating a live slide show, and amazing record of an event. Something we’ll also be using at the MAD Blog Awards in a few weeks’ time.
We’ll be picking the brains of the Google geeks at BlogCamp and hopefully finding out lots more cool things with can do with G+ – and we’ll be sharing that with our bloggers, of course.
If you are on G+, please pop over to our G+ page and make sure you join our Sponsored Post circle, or share your profile link with other bloggers. See you there!